Exam board: AQA
- The research process in Sociology
- Quantitative and qualitative methods
- Secondary sources of data
- Planning a research project
- The role and structure of the education system
- Explanations of differing educational achievement
- Different sociological approaches to families
- Role and authority relationships in families
- Changing patterns of fertility and life expectancy
- Marriage, cohabitation and divorce
Unit 1 assessed through practice exam question in class. Each practice question will be peer assessed and teacher assessed.
Mini project and presentation conducted in Summer term of Year 10. Assessed through peer assessment and teacher assessment. Not part of overall grade.
Final assessment through Paper 1 exam in June of Year 11. 1 hour 30 minutes long. 50 per cent of overall GCSE grade.
Crime and Deviance
- Different explanations of crime and deviance
- The extent of crime and use of data to study this
- Social distribution of crime
- The impact of crime and deviance
- The impact of the mass media
- The mass media and power
- The mass media and socialisation
- Media representations
- Ways of participating in the political process
- Social factors, participation and power
- The welfare state
- Government attempts to tackle social problems
- Defining social inequality and stratification
- Social class as a form of stratification
- Gender, ethnicity and age
- Wealth, income and poverty
- Different sociological explanations of poverty
- Major debates about social stratification
Unit 2 assessed through practice exam question in class. Each practice question will be peer assessed and teacher assessed.
Final assessment through Paper 2 exam in June of Year 11. 1 hour 30 minutes long. 50 per cent of overall GCSE grade.
For further information on PHSE please contact Mrs M McKinnell firstname.lastname@example.org